ArcticInsider Message Board: 500 Snopro Skid Adjustments - ArcticInsider Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

500 Snopro Skid Adjustments re-post of thread from last year..

#1 User is offline   taperk600 Icon

• Crossfire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLake George, NY
  • My Sled(s):WAY Too many Cats.........
  • My Atv(s):nope...if it's summer I'm diving or boating

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:31 AM

Have had a few people asking about the skid changes I did last season and posted about. It took me a bit to find that thread since it was before we had the race chassis section and it was pages back in the general sled section.

So, to get ready for the up-coming season and to help out those who have asked....here's a copy of the original post and the link to it (if needed)...

Original Post:

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:10 PM
Well, spent a few hours yesterday fiddling with the skid in my 2010 500 SnoPro trying to get it even close to the improvements the EVOL-X's gave the front. First shot .... real close for me. Road today over in Grafton (NY) where Educated Swine (Rich) grooms. Not the best conditions, but very comparable to the conditions in VT on Wed, so good enough to compare to that day's ride.....

ok, for what I did.....

1) Moved rear arm mount into the forward hole (allowing the arm to collapse easier)
2) Moved front arm shock lower mount back one hole in rails (to center hole)....again, collapses easier
3) Swapped out stock front arm 190# single rate spring for a 100/250 dual rate spring
4) Left coupler blocks on #1 (least coupling)
5) Left torsion springs on softest

Still running stock valving in the shocks to boot. Tons more compliant on stutters and 1/2 footers and still soaked up square edge hard hitters too. I'm 190 before gear (and clothes..oops) just for weight reference. In the Evols I'm running 100#s in the evol chamber and 65 in the main chamber. Last yr, the front out performed the rear so much that I had to stiffen up the front or get bucked off the sled. VT trip Wed was about the same... skid WAY too stiff. Not today. Real close to being as good as the front now. A bit stiff still for the way I like to have the skids work, but with only 200-ish miles, I'm going to let the shocks get broke in before going further.

Oh... and Rich road it & also felt it was better than his already re-valved skid.......

edit..forgot to mention the only expense was the spring...a $30 retail part.....and some time

LINK:
http://forum.arctici...id-adjustments/
IT FACTOR
Options suck.....at least having to choose which ones to waste money on...........

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233 LE
Scuba year 'round
Australia and South Pacific Islands

#2 User is offline   Sno-Pro 500 Icon

• Kitty Cat
  • PipPip
  • LocationWoodbury MN
  • My Sled(s):2015 6000 R XC
    2014 Sno-Pro 6000Cross Country
    2014 Sno-Pro 500
    2011 F5 LXR
    2002 500 CCE
  • My Atv(s):Polaris 550 Camo
    2012 Ranger 800 XP

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

View Posttaperk600, on 20 November 2011 - 12:31 AM, said:

Have had a few people asking about the skid changes I did last season and posted about. It took me a bit to find that thread since it was before we had the race chassis section and it was pages back in the general sled section.

So, to get ready for the up-coming season and to help out those who have asked....here's a copy of the original post and the link to it (if needed)...

Original Post:

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:10 PM
Well, spent a few hours yesterday fiddling with the skid in my 2010 500 SnoPro trying to get it even close to the improvements the EVOL-X's gave the front. First shot .... real close for me. Road today over in Grafton (NY) where Educated Swine (Rich) grooms. Not the best conditions, but very comparable to the conditions in VT on Wed, so good enough to compare to that day's ride.....

ok, for what I did.....

1) Moved rear arm mount into the forward hole (allowing the arm to collapse easier)
2) Moved front arm shock lower mount back one hole in rails (to center hole)....again, collapses easier
3) Swapped out stock front arm 190# single rate spring for a 100/250 dual rate spring
4) Left coupler blocks on #1 (least coupling)
5) Left torsion springs on softest

Still running stock valving in the shocks to boot. Tons more compliant on stutters and 1/2 footers and still soaked up square edge hard hitters too. I'm 190 before gear (and clothes..oops) just for weight reference. In the Evols I'm running 100#s in the evol chamber and 65 in the main chamber. Last yr, the front out performed the rear so much that I had to stiffen up the front or get bucked off the sled. VT trip Wed was about the same... skid WAY too stiff. Not today. Real close to being as good as the front now. A bit stiff still for the way I like to have the skids work, but with only 200-ish miles, I'm going to let the shocks get broke in before going further.

Oh... and Rich road it & also felt it was better than his already re-valved skid.......

edit..forgot to mention the only expense was the spring...a $30 retail part.....and some time

LINK:
http://forum.arctici...id-adjustments/

#3 User is offline   Sno-Pro 500 Icon

• Kitty Cat
  • PipPip
  • LocationWoodbury MN
  • My Sled(s):2015 6000 R XC
    2014 Sno-Pro 6000Cross Country
    2014 Sno-Pro 500
    2011 F5 LXR
    2002 500 CCE
  • My Atv(s):Polaris 550 Camo
    2012 Ranger 800 XP

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

Great call out! Appreciate the info.

Ride on!

#4 User is offline   taperk600 Icon

• Crossfire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationLake George, NY
  • My Sled(s):WAY Too many Cats.........
  • My Atv(s):nope...if it's summer I'm diving or boating

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well, thought I'd update this since I finally got out for a ride this season. First off, the conditions were horrible.... ICE and hard hard stutters with a few hard square-edgers...no real big g-out bumps. That being said, it was a good test for the rear shock changes to see if it helped with the swapping/sacking out issues...

OK... first the changes.
Stock torsional springs out, heavy optional ones in (1704-384 & 385) which are lighter than the stock rates.
Rear arm shock was exchanged for a piggy-back from a 2010 600 cross country. Compression set at 8 turns out from bottom and rebound set at 14 out from bottom.
Front arm shock still has 100/250 dual rate I used last season.
All mounting positions same as last season also.

Evols are now gen2s, but same settings as I had last season with the gen1s:
Evol chamber 150 psi
main chamber 65 psi
low speed compression out 16
high speed compression out 8
rebound out 12

ok... I found that the rear was now noticeably more compliant. Enough so that I felt the front was "jumpy". So I took some rebound out to slow the front end reaction a bit (3 clicks... so now at 9 out). This helped.. for now. The skid reacted 150% better over repeated 1/1.5 ft'rs at fast speeds where last season that same situation would have seen a slight tail wiggle trying to mix itself in. When hitting the square-edgers (usually 1.5-2 ft), the skid would stay "flat"....no hint of kick back. On a couple deeper holes (like the ones on the back side of a knoll...where all the sleds land in the same spot and create a "hole"), I almost feel a need a bit less compression on the front arm but still it stayed "flat" with no kick.

After lunch, trails softened up slightly, but it was still very icy .....and HARD. I still noticed the front now feeling harsher than I wanted, so I took out some low speed compression (4 clicks.. now at 20 out). I really didn't notice any difference, so I left it there. Next ride I plan to rest the low speed and take a couple out of the high speed compression and see if that helps get the result I want.

I know this thread is about the skid...but as I said the Educated Swine (Rich), the front and rear have to work together in order to really see/ know any improvements. If they are not balanced, one will feel out of place more so than it really may be..... He had an issue with his skid that was making his front (my gen1 Evol-X's) feel REAL STIFF...

So.... my thought on results of the skid changes. I know the adjustable shock is not something everyone will/can do. However, the "softer" torsion springs made a big difference, as did the slightly softer compression and large increase in rebound on the rear arm shock.

NEXT ride will be on the other 500. Skid in that one has:
90/250 front arm spring (stock valved shock)
the light optional torsion springs (1704-382 / 383)
~10% less compression valving and ~30% increased rebound in the rear arm shock
all mounting positions are stock as of now (left them stock to do the much lower softer shock/spring set up). Easy to move trail-side if needed..
Gen2s with same set up as I just changed the other set too...

Now, we just need snow so I can ride/test some more......

hope this is helpful.......
IT FACTOR
Options suck.....at least having to choose which ones to waste money on...........

1999 Chaparral Sunesta 233 LE
Scuba year 'round
Australia and South Pacific Islands

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users