• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationOntario
  • My Sled(s):06 Z570
    04 F6 EFI NightFire
    96.5 ZR440

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi Folks,

I'll be refreshing the top end and clutches in my 04 F6 EFI this summer. I've already done all the bearings, APV's and the skid. The sled's motor has around 5500 miles, and has never been touched. It's been a great sled. I've rebuilt many sled engines before, so the mechanical aspect of the project is really not an issue. My concern stems from what a guy from work told me regarding his experience in rebuilding his 04 F7. I'm not sure about this guy's advice and opinions, and simply put, I have more trust in the people here at AI versus anyone else.

This guy claims that I'm better off taking the whole engine out to do this job, because the coolant hoses found under the engine tend to wear through after some time. Have any of you experienced this? I realize that taking the motor out ensures a more thorough job, but I also beleive that it isn't always necessary. I usually take the motor out when I get just below the 10000 mile mark, 'cause by then, I'm doing the crank as well as the top end. That's also when I redo things like cooling lines and wiring and such. So, assuming that the coolant line needs to be replaced, would it be easier to take the motor out, or try to get to it by removing the panel on the underside of the belly pan?

I'm reaching out to you Firecat guys because I've never had to work on mine. It has simply been a great, reliable performer. If there is anything else I need to look out for, by all means, let me know. This job is on my long list of things I need to get done this summer, so the quicker I can get it done the better. Knowing what to look for would really help me out.
All your help is greatly appreciated. Simon out.

#2 User is offline   RIsnoPRO83 Icon

• EXT Special
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationRI
  • My Sled(s):2006 F7 EFI R

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

Simon... I did some work on mine this past season. I was going to freshen up the top end but i'm still pulling 140 PSI at 4800 miles. When I rebuilt the rear skid, I made the sled a sno pro... changed the everything to the factory spec.. mounting point.. shock length.. etc.. I ended up pulling the tank... long story... lol.. but the short version is you get a real good look at the coolant lines. Mine didn't have any abnormal wear spots.. But as I do recall... the 04's were more prone to hose wear than others. Pulling the tank is about a dozen bolts and some pulling and pushing, but it might give you the piece of mind your looking for, instead of drilling all the rivets out on the cowel only to find everything is A-OK.

You can also get a good look by pulling the bottom skid plate off and getting under it or putting on its side.

#3 User is offline   98 Thundercat Icon

• Kitty Cat
  • Pip
  • My Sled(s):2003 F7 <br />2003 Firecat F9 stroker <br />2005 F6 Joker, 2001 Z370
  • My Atv(s):2002 Polaris Sportsman 500HO<br />2008 Polaris Phoenix 200

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

View Postgroulxs, on 05 June 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

Hi Folks,

I'll be refreshing the top end and clutches in my 04 F6 EFI this summer. I've already done all the bearings, APV's and the skid. The sled's motor has around 5500 miles, and has never been touched. It's been a great sled. I've rebuilt many sled engines before, so the mechanical aspect of the project is really not an issue. My concern stems from what a guy from work told me regarding his experience in rebuilding his 04 F7. I'm not sure about this guy's advice and opinions, and simply put, I have more trust in the people here at AI versus anyone else.

This guy claims that I'm better off taking the whole engine out to do this job, because the coolant hoses found under the engine tend to wear through after some time. Have any of you experienced this? I realize that taking the motor out ensures a more thorough job, but I also beleive that it isn't always necessary. I usually take the motor out when I get just below the 10000 mile mark, 'cause by then, I'm doing the crank as well as the top end. That's also when I redo things like cooling lines and wiring and such. So, assuming that the coolant line needs to be replaced, would it be easier to take the motor out, or try to get to it by removing the panel on the underside of the belly pan?

I'm reaching out to you Firecat guys because I've never had to work on mine. It has simply been a great, reliable performer. If there is anything else I need to look out for, by all means, let me know. This job is on my long list of things I need to get done this summer, so the quicker I can get it done the better. Knowing what to look for would really help me out.
All your help is greatly appreciated. Simon out.

If you are worried about the hose then just drop the skid plate and look. I would do a compression test before rebuilding the top end. If its got good compression then leave it alone. 5500 miles is not high miles for a Firecat motor. At 7500 I would do pistons for good measure so you dont have to worry about breaking a skirt.
D&D F9 stroker asphalt 9.39 @134 MPH All Motor!
D&D f8 Asphalt 9.79 @ 131 MPH
Bone stock F7 asphalt 6.37 @ 104 mph 1/8th mile

#4 User is offline   groulxs Icon

• Mountain Cat
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationOntario
  • My Sled(s):06 Z570
    04 F6 EFI NightFire
    96.5 ZR440

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Guys. Firecat will wait 'till next year. I'll be lucky to put on a few hundred miles this coming season. I need to rebuild my 570 anyway... putting the F6 on hold 'til next year will also make it easier on the ol' wallet!!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users