ArcticInsider Message Board: Finishing My Summer Project...98 Zrt 600 - ArcticInsider Message Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finishing My Summer Project...98 Zrt 600 My ZRT is done. Let the snow fly.

#1 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • My Sled(s):1997 ZRT 600 AG edition, 01 T Cat
  • My Atv(s):2006 V2 650 wish it was an AG edition

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Getting ready to do the AG mod. Already moved the bars forward......I will try to remember to take pictures as I go.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Delow Icon

• Prowler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationNorthern Iowa
  • My Sled(s):99' ZL 600 EFI
    79' Yamaha Excel V
    76' El Tigre

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

I am looking forward to watching this one closely, would love to do this to an old sled someday... :snowmobile:
Arctic Cat 99' ZL 600 EFI with 1-1/4 Predator Track, Black Magic Clutch Kit (secondary at least), ZR3 front suspension upgrade, all purpled out!

#3 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

I got alot done today. Temp was around 55 degrees.
Got Ag mod almost done.

Here are a few pictures of some of the more difficult steps.

The biggest pain in the arse is trying to get the a arm bolts to line up with thw holes in the belly pan..

Here is a picture of the bolt hole not lineing up and a picture of the a arms with the shims(washers).

Attached File(s)

#4 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

Here is the sled with AG mod almost done. It still has the 14" shocks on it because I haven't picked up the 18" ones. Also the left side a arms are bent so I will be replacing them once I find a pair. I have to order the tie rod tubes and 5/8 key stock for the swaybar.

Attached File(s)

#5 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

Also stripped my tunnel today. Zip strip cost 12.00 a quart and is worth every penny.
Guess its going to be a short summer..

Attached File(s)

#6 User is offline   snotcicles Icon

• Lynx
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for posting this up with the play by play, I am seriously contemplating one of these projects and this is the stuff that really helps, good job.

#7 User is offline   A G Icon

• Mountain Cat
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBig Bald Lake, Buckhorn Ontario
  • My Sled(s):AGLT 1050
  • My Atv(s):AG Edition MotoX V2

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

View PostLimeChild, on 20 March 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

...a picture of the a arms with the shims(washers).

The pic with the washers used as spacers: Probably not a good idea.

Please understand how the assembly works... The inner axle tube is 'trapped' by the bushings on each end. The bushings have 'teeth' that cut into the bulkhead. When the long bolt is torqued to spec, the teeth having cut into the bulkhead and putting pressure on the inner axle tube prevent the bushing & axle tube assembly from turning with each A-arm movement.

The way to ensure the axle tube & bushings cannot rotate, would be to use one spacer made out of a single piece of metal, aluminum is ideal. The 'teeth' on the outside of the bushings will 'cut' into the aluminum spacer, and also the 'bite' marks left on the bulkhead will also dig into an aluminum spacer... End result, no turning of the inside axle tube & bushings.

If the washers you used instead of the recommended single-piece spacer, the washers cannot offer grip and will allow the inside axle tube & bushing assembly to rotate with each arm movment, the long bolt becomes the pivot, and there is potential for the holes in the bulkhead to wear, become egged.

I would recommend following the AGLT instructions precisely. When the long bolt seizes up on the inner axle tube with rust, the entire assembly will rotate on the long bolt because the washers cannot hold and will allow this to happen. Or, even without water, time, and rust... There is no guarantee the washers won't become loose and allow unwanted movement of the inner axle tube & bushings.

I hope you are aware of all this. I hope you swap those washers out for one solid piece of aluminum.
Experience is something you have after you needed it.

#8 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

View PostA G, on 21 March 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

The pic with the washers used as spacers: Probably not a good idea.

Please understand how the assembly works... The inner axle tube is 'trapped' by the bushings on each end. The bushings have 'teeth' that cut into the bulkhead. When the long bolt is torqued to spec, the teeth having cut into the bulkhead and putting pressure on the inner axle tube prevent the bushing & axle tube assembly from turning with each A-arm movement.

The way to ensure the axle tube & bushings cannot rotate, would be to use one spacer made out of a single piece of metal, aluminum is ideal. The 'teeth' on the outside of the bushings will 'cut' into the aluminum spacer, and also the 'bite' marks left on the bulkhead will also dig into an aluminum spacer... End result, no turning of the inside axle tube & bushings.

If the washers you used instead of the recommended single-piece spacer, the washers cannot offer grip and will allow the inside axle tube & bushing assembly to rotate with each arm movment, the long bolt becomes the pivot, and there is potential for the holes in the bulkhead to wear, become egged.

I would recommend following the AGLT instructions precisely. When the long bolt seizes up on the inner axle tube with rust, the entire assembly will rotate on the long bolt because the washers cannot hold and will allow this to happen. Or, even without water, time, and rust... There is no guarantee the washers won't become loose and allow unwanted movement of the inner axle tube & bushings.

I hope you are aware of all this. I hope you swap those washers out for one solid piece of aluminum.

Guess I will be swapping them out for a piece of aluminum....Thanks Bud I didn't realize it mattered. I guess I have plenty of time.

#9 User is offline   A G Icon

• Mountain Cat
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationBig Bald Lake, Buckhorn Ontario
  • My Sled(s):AGLT 1050
  • My Atv(s):AG Edition MotoX V2

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:13 AM

View PostLimeChild, on 21 March 2011 - 10:17 PM, said:

Guess I will be swapping them out for a piece of aluminum....Thanks Bud I didn't realize it mattered. I guess I have plenty of time.

It doesn't matter in how the suspension feels/performs from a rider's perspective. But if the washers allow the bushings & inner axle tube to rotate, the wear point becomes the long bolt and holes in the bulkhead. This is primarily a lifespan/reliaibility issue.

If the washers are there allowing the bushing & inner axle tube to rotate, I suspect over time the rider may eventually notice when the front end gets really sloppy.

Glad you posted the close-up pics, or I would never have known to inform you. :beer:
Experience is something you have after you needed it.

#10 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

With the amount of riding I do im sure nothing would wear out, but I have enough time to have the correct bushings made. Thanks AG

Well im looking for parts im going to start polishing the tunnel. So the next few posts will show the steps I take. I have next week off.....WOOT

I will be ordering the key stock to be used for a sway bar from McMaster-Carr. I will post the part # and price when I do it.

Thanks for watching guys,
LimeChild

#11 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

While doing the AG mod I noticed 2 cracks in the frame under the clutch and near the recoil. Going to try and get it welded tomorrow.

Attached File(s)

#12 User is offline   Insanecat Icon

• Vintage Racer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationThe greater metropolis of Skidway Lake, Michigan. About 50 miles northeast of C-note now!
  • My Sled(s):'02 ZR 800 CC......kinda, Speed don't lie
    '94 ZR 580 11/10/1993 - 1/23/2013 R.I.P.
    1973 440 El Tigre vintage racer
    1975 440 El Tigre "Z"
    1977 440 Z clone vintage racer
    2010 Sno Pro 500....Oh, wait! That'S RUSTY'S!
  • My Atv(s):2017 Siverado

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

You should! They won't heal themselves!
Keep a fire extingusher in your garage!

Speed does not kill, it's what you run into!

Ice is for racing on, asphalt is for getting there!

#13 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

Going to pick up this track this week. Camoplast Ripsaw track 136x15x1.25 with 2.52 pitch in excellent condition. Has 150+ picks on it(Over half of them are double picks. All have the tall nuts and NONE are missing. No missing lugs or tares or any sort. Fully clipped. Near perfect condition. Came off 07 xfire 8 with 1000 miles on it. I can't pass it up for 250.00. My cousin has a set of rail extensions he is going to sell me.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  track.jpg (19.91K)
    Number of downloads: 16

#14 User is offline   RIsnoPRO83 Icon

• EXT Special
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationRI
  • My Sled(s):2006 F7 EFI R

Posted 27 March 2011 - 03:52 PM

Lime... I think I saw your in Maine. A friend has a bunch of zrt parts, complete engine carbs etc.. If you need anything pm and I'll see if he has it. His zrt is long gone..

I'm in RI... Shipping wouldn't be to bad and we visit maine through out the summer

#15 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

View PostRIsnoPRO83, on 27 March 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

Lime... I think I saw your in Maine. A friend has a bunch of zrt parts, complete engine carbs etc.. If you need anything pm and I'll see if he has it. His zrt is long gone..

I'm in RI... Shipping wouldn't be to bad and we visit maine through out the summer

thanks. might be in touch if I need parts.

#16 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Getting ready to work on the ZRT again. Just picked up a set of front shocks off an 03 ZR 900. Still looking for left side bottom a arm. I will try to remember to take a few pictures.

#17 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

I got out in the garage today. Finished mounting the a arms(left side still bent) and shocks. Here are a few pictures.

This is the notched spindle.
Attached File  spindle notch.JPG (1.12MB)
Number of downloads: 14

This is the a arm nut that is hard to get at. Its a 11/16 nut. Pipes need to be removed to get access.
Attached File  a arm nut.JPG (1.29MB)
Number of downloads: 9

Here it is all assembled. I know the arms are bent. I can't find a bottom arm. I hate to pay 126.00 for a new one.
Attached File  finished.JPG (1.3MB)
Number of downloads: 25

Here is a front view... :D
Attached File  front view.JPG (1.35MB)
Number of downloads: 31

I will post more pictures when I get the longer sway bar 5/8 key stock ordered.

Thanks for looking,
LimeChild

#18 User is offline   monstercoach Icon

• Lynx
  • PipPip
  • My Sled(s):1000 Triples
    ZRT 600

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Nice very nice. I have one going as well. I know what you mean about the A-Arms, they are getting to be hard to find and new ones are big $$. So I started to make my own lower arms to also use the short stock shocks, sway bar location, etc. I won't high jack your thread, so I will post soon under the project area. I can't wait to see it done with a 136 track!

#19 User is offline   LimeChild Icon

• Cheetah
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

B) B) B) B)

View Postmonstercoach, on 08 August 2011 - 07:55 PM, said:

Nice very nice. I have one going as well. I know what you mean about the A-Arms, they are getting to be hard to find and new ones are big $$. So I started to make my own lower arms to also use the short stock shocks, sway bar location, etc. I won't high jack your thread, so I will post soon under the project area. I can't wait to see it done with a 136 track!

Can't wait to see the custom a arms. If you need more shocks, I have 3 sets collecting dust... B)

#20 User is offline   monstercoach Icon

• Lynx
  • PipPip
  • My Sled(s):1000 Triples
    ZRT 600

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

View PostLimeChild, on 08 August 2011 - 09:30 PM, said:

B) B) B) B)

Can't wait to see the custom a arms. If you need more shocks, I have 3 sets collecting dust... B)

Let me get it back together this weekend and post it. I also dimpled the running boards and rolled the chain case 2" back and moved the whole rack back the 2" as well. I have been watching you build them like you have an assembly line there at your place. Cool stuff! Your killing me with that tank you have. Since I saw it on your sled I have been on a mission to find one. With no luck of course! Your building some real cool stuff.

MC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users